Upcoming Sport First Responder Course
Date: January 15-17, 2021
Location: Regina, SK (Arcola East Community Centre. 3860 Buckingham Drive, Regina, SK, S4V 3A1)
Cost: Full Course $565.00, Recertification $440.00, Student $510
Instructor: Kristie Mueller, PT
This is a 3-day lecture and practical course (last 2 days for those requiring recertification only) that meets the requirements of the Canadian Red Cross Society and Sport Physiotherapy Canada for First Responder Certification.
The examples/scenarios used will be sport-specific to enhance the learning of all participants with regard to event coverage situations (whether planning to challenge the SPC Certificate/Diploma exams or not). At the end of the course, the participant:
- Complete a standardized written exam to meet national Canadian Red Cross standards
- Have an enhanced ability to respond to emergency situations on-site (ie: head injuries and bleeds)
- Be trained to use oxygen and an Automated External Defibrillator
- Be able to transfer players onto spinal boards effectively (including rolls)
Student Merit Award
Student Merit Award Rollover
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the SPC is aware that most students would not have had an opportunity to do the required event coverage to apply for the 2020 award. Don’t Worry! We have decided to rollover this year’s award to 2021. Therefore in 2021 there will be 2 awards! One for those eligible in 2020 and one for those students eligible in 2021. See Below.
The Student Merit Award provides is a $200 monetary award for students participating in sport across the province. Students must meet the following criteria in order to qualify for the award:
1. Must be a registered physiotherapy student at the University of Saskatchewan in the second year of the program (*please note students in second year in 2020, will be eligible to apply in 2021. There will be a separate award for second year students in 2021).
2. Must accumulate 20 or greater hours of event coverage
3. Have a minimum valid first aid and CPR certification or greater
4. Must be a Sport Physiotherapy Canada member
5. Complete the application form, the verification of hours form and complete the 250 word written essay
* note all applicants who apply for the Merit Award will receive one year free membership from SPC
To access the appropriate forms, please feel free to contact the SPC- Sk Division Executive at Saskatchewan@sportphysio.ca
Previous Award Recipients
2019 – Jaelyse Gorchuck
2018 – Joelle Nerbas
2017 – Matthew Orkainec
Chris and Lindsay Facca Memorial Credentialing Program Award
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT DUE TO COVID-19, THE ORAL EXAMINATION PORTION WAS CANCELLED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. AS SUCH, WE ARE NOT GOING TO LOOK AT AWARDING THIS UNTIL THE EXAMS CAN BE RESCHEDULED. STAY TUNED FOR DETAILS.
2019 – Kristie Mueller
Lindsay Facca Memorial Fund for Student Trainers
Two years ago, Sport Physiotherapy Saskatchewan lost a member of its Executive, Lindsay Facca. She passed away suddenly on June 7, 2016 at the age of 29. Lindsay was working in Saskatoon at Craven Sport Services, and had recently received her Certificate in Sport Physiotherapy from Sport Physiotherapy Canada. Lindsay had been an active member of the sports community for many years. She was a Student Trainer with the University of Saskatchewan Huskie Athletics program where she worked with the Soccer and Football teams. She was also a Huskie Track and Field Athlete from 2005-2009. To honour Lindsay’s memory, Huskie Athletics has created the “Lindsay Facca Memorial Fund for Student Trainers”. This fund will provide scholarship assistance to members of the Huskie Student Trainer Program in support of their academic accomplishments so they can achieve their dreams. We want to ensure that Lindsay’s legacy endures.
We are reaching out to the Sport Physiotherapy family in support of this Fund. Contact us, if you wish to donate. Please help us honour Lindsay and her family.
If you have any questions, you may also contact Huskie Athletics.
- Leah White – Executive Chair
- Michelle Keene – Secretary/Treasurer
- Kristie Mueller – Education Coordinator
- Vacant – Communications and Marketing Coordinator
- Sarah Langevin – Membership and Events Coordinator
- Jill Apshkrum – Sports Medicine and Science Council of Saskatchewan (SMSCS) Liason
- Daysha Shuya – Sports Medicine and Science Council of Saskatchewan (SMSCS) Liason
- Danielle Drury – Student Representative
- Contact Email: email@example.com
Please click SPCS Constitution FINAL 2011 for a copy of our constitution.