Student Merit Award
For the past 3 years Sport Physiotherapy Canada – Saskatchewan Division awarded a $200.00 merit award to encourage and reward our student members for their participation in sport throughout the province. Students must meet the following criteria in order to qualify for the award:
1. Must be a registered physiotherapy student at the University of Saskatchewan in the second year of the program
2. Must accumulate 20 or greater hours of event coverage
3. Have a minimum valid first aid and CPR certification or greater
4. Must be a Sport Physiotherapy Canada member
5. Complete the attached form, the verification of hours form and complete the 250 word written essay
* note all applicants who apply for the Merit Award will receive one year free membership from SPC
Please contact us for a copy of the application form.
All materials must be received no later than April 30th, 2020. Complete this form and send it with the verification of hours form and written essay to the SPC- Sk. Division Chair at Saskatchewan@sportphysio.ca.
Previous Award Recipients
2019 – Jaelyse Gorchuck
2018 – Joelle Nerbas
2017 – Matthew Orkainec
Chris and Lindsay Facca Memorial Credentialing Program Award
This Award was established in the memory and celebration of the lives of Chris and Lindsay Facca. This annual award recognizes Saskatchewan physiotherapists who embody the qualities and ideals of the Facca’s and who have shown accomplishment and successful completion in either the certificate or diploma portion of the Sport Physiotherapy Canada credentialing program.
To be considered for the $1000.00 Lindsay and Chris Facca Memorial Credentialing Program Award,
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
– Must be a registered physiotherapist in the province of Saskatchewan and a Sport Physiotherapy Canada member
– Must show proof of successful completion of the certificate or diploma portion of the Sport Physiotherapy Canada credentialing program in the same calendar year in which the Chris and Lindsay Facca Memorial Credentialing Program Award is to be granted
– Has not receive the Lindsay and Chris Facca Memorial Credentialing Program Award in the past
– All materials must be postmarked no later than June 1st , 2020.
Please contact us for an application form.
2019 – Kristie Meuller
SPC Diploma Mentors. We need you!!!
The Saskatchewan Section is looking for Diploma and Certificate holding members to offer their services as mentors to newer Physiotherapists looking to progress through the SPC Certificate/Diploma Program. If you are interested in being a mentor, please contact us and we will have you added as a Provincial Mentor on the Sport Physiotherapy Canada List.
Lindsay Facca Memorial Fund for Student Trainers
Two years ago, Sport Physiotherapy Saskatchewan lost a member of its Executive, Lindsay Facca. She passed away suddenly on June 7, 2016 at the age of 29. Lindsay was working in Saskatoon at Craven Sport Services, and had recently received her Certificate in Sport Physiotherapy from Sport Physiotherapy Canada. Lindsay had been an active member of the sports community for many years. She was a Student Trainer with the University of Saskatchewan Huskie Athletics program where she worked with the Soccer and Football teams. She was also a Huskie Track and Field Athlete from 2005-2009. To honour Lindsay’s memory, Huskie Athletics has created the “Lindsay Facca Memorial Fund for Student Trainers”. This fund will provide scholarship assistance to members of the Huskie Student Trainer Program in support of their academic accomplishments so they can achieve their dreams. We want to ensure that Lindsay’s legacy endures.
We are reaching out to the Sport Physiotherapy family in support of this Fund. Contact us, if you wish to donate. Please help us honour Lindsay and her family.
If you have any questions, you may also contact Rhonda Shishkin at Huskie Athletics.
Sport First Responder
This is a 3-day lecture and practical course (last 2 days for those requiring recertification only) that meets the requirements of the Canadian Red Cross Society and Sport Physiotherapy Canada for First Responder Certification.
The examples/scenarios used will be sport-specific to enhance the learning of all participants with regard to event coverage situations (whether planning to challenge the SPC Certificate/Diploma exams or not). At the end of the course, the participant:
• Complete a standardized written exam to meet national Canadian Red Cross standards
• Have an enhanced ability to respond to emergency situations on-site (ie: head injuries and bleeds)
• Be trained to use oxygen and an Automated External Defibrillator
• Be able to transfer players onto spinal boards effectively (including rolls)
*Please note that First Responder Certification must be renewed every 3 years*
SPC Members: Full Course: $565 (plus tax); Recertification: $440 (plus tax);
Non-member Fees: Full Course: $600 (plus tax); Recertification: $460 (plus tax);
New SPC Student Members: Full Course: $510 (plus tax)
*To be eligible for the student fee, you must be currently enrolled in a post-secondary program. These registrations will be monitored.
All participants will receive a pocket CPR mask during the course. Manuals are provided to Full Course participants only.
Recertification participants are required to bring the manual from their previous course. If you require a new manual, please select the Recertification with a new manual option.
Meal and refreshments are not provided.
Space is limited: register by Wednesday April 15, 2020.
Cancellation fee is $100 accepted for any cancellation made up to two weeks prior to course, after which point no refund is granted.
Please note online registration is NOW available and preferred to reserve your spot.
Course Dates & Times:
Friday, April 24, 2020: 12:00PM
Saturday, April 25, 2020: 8:30AM
Sunday, April 26, 2020: 8:30AM
*Course time may vary and will be confirmed in the pre-course registration email
*Recertification will take place on Saturday & Sunday of this course.
Saskatchewan Sports Med Science Council Building
2205 Victoria ave
- Leah White – Executive Chair
- Stephanie Peppler – Past Chair
- Michelle Keene – Secretary/Treasurer
- Kristie Mueller – Education Coordinator
- Vacant – Communications and Marketing Coordinator
- Sarah Langevin – Membership and Events Coordinator
- Jill Apshkrum – Sports Medicine and Science Council of Saskatchewan (SMSCS) Liason
- Daysha Shuya – Sports Medicine and Science Council of Saskatchewan (SMSCS) Liason
- Danielle Drury – Student Representative
- Contact Email: email@example.com