Every 3 years, holders of the Sport Physiotherapy Canada, Certification Candidate, post-graduate SPC Certificate (hereafter called SPC Certificate), and post-graduate Diploma (hereafter called Diploma) will be asked to present the following documentation in support of maintenance of their status. To maintain Sport Physiotherapy Canada Credential Program status, you must have a current CPA and SPC membership. In addition, you must maintain under one of the following two categories:
Maintenance Option A- Full Maintenance
This maintenance option is for credential holders doing on field coverage, Major Games selection, maintaining a candidate status, examining or mentoring.
Requirements for Full Maintenance:
– Current Red Cross First Responder Certification
– Continuing Education: A minimum of 60 hours of post-graduate courses relevant to the SPC Credential Program Curriculum.
– Practical Experience: A minimum of 200 hours of employment and/or volunteer clinic and/or field (on-site) work in sports physical therapy. A minimum of Seventy-five (75) hours of the total 200 hours must be on field (on-site) experience. (Include dates, events, and hours.)
Maintenance Option B * New Option
A full credential holder, either certificate or diploma has the option of Maintaining as Option B. This option is new and available for those therapists who are no longer doing large amounts of on field hours but would like to maintain their certification. Credential holders maintained at this level are NOT eligible for major games selection. Also note, there is an option to only maintain with a Standard First Aid level but doing this makes you ineligible to be an SPC Mentor and SPC Examiner.
Requirements for Maintenance Option B:
– Current Red Cross First Responder Certification OR Current Standard or Emergency First Aid (Not able to Mentor or Examine)
– Education: A minimum of 60 hours of post-graduate courses relevant to the SPC Credential Program Curriculum.
– Practical Experience: No practical experience is required at this level. However, if someone decides in future to maintain in Option A all elements of Option A will be required.
Maintenance Documents Details
Continuing Education for SPC Certificate and Diploma Holders (for the 3-year period): A minimum of 60 hours of post-graduate courses relevant to the SPC Credential Program Curriculum. When recording continuing education courses – abbreviations of the course name or host organizations are not to be used, names are to be written out in full. Please do NOT send in copies of your certificates of attendance. To save you time, paper and mailing costs we may ask you for a few samples as part of our review but we do not need them sent in with your application. Do keep your copies at the ready in case we request further documentation in our review process. When completing continuing education logs all information must be typed and uploaded to your profile online at sportphysio.ca. Any handwritten logs will be returned as incomplete and members will be required to resubmit the information in a typed format.
Practical Experience for SPC Certificate and Diploma Holders (for the 3-year period):
When completing a continuing education log all information must be typed and uploaded to your profile online at sportphysio.ca. Any handwritten logs will be returned as incomplete and members will be required to resubmit the information in a typed format.
FULL POLICY & FORMS- Updated 2016– Including leaves and switching from Option B to Full Maintenance
Please save the completed documents as PDF to upload.