The Oral Practical exam takes place the first weekend of May of every year. The exam occurs in person with an examining team. The location of the exam rotates West, Central, East so that you can find a location that suits you within 3 years of completing your written exam.
If the need arises SPC may organize an additional date for oral practical exam sitting. This option will be communicated and will only occur if the numbers require. PREREQUISITES OF THE ORAL PRACTICAL EXAM APPLICATION Current First Responder certification and a letter from your mentor is required to be submitted with the oral practical exam application. SPORT PHYSIOTHERAPY DIPLOMA PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE The Candidate will need a minimum of 200 hours of documented practical experience to successfully complete the Sport Physiotherapy Diploma (although 200 hours is stated as the minimum, it is recommended that the Candidate have 800 hours to adequately meet the objectives of the curriculum). Hours used for the SPC Certificate Application cannot be used again for the Diploma Application. It is strongly suggested that the Candidate work with one of the sports that provide a high incidence of injury so that they will develop their skills in acute care and assessment techniques. A Mentor will help to evaluate the log to ensure adequate experience. Criteria for gaining practical experience are as follows:
- Experience should be gained in at least six different sports or activities. In two of these six sports, involvement must extend over two full seasons with a team or club (full season means pre-season training camp, regular season games and practices, and post-season evaluation and programming). One of these two sports ideally should be a team contact or collision sport such as hockey, football, lacrosse, soccer, rugby or combative sports such as judo, wrestling, boxing and Tae Kwon Doe .
- The two sports covered over two seasons should have a minimum of 75 hours practical experience documented in each of these sports.
- The Candidate must have practical experience taping all regions of the body including ankles, knees, acromio-clavicular joints, etc. Effectiveness and efficiency of taping are stressed in the Diploma-level examinations.
- The Candidate must develop and implement a pre-season injury prevention program, medical screening program and injury recording system.
- The Candidate must have ordered or made arrangements for, and pack equipment and supplies required for a road trip involving at least one game.
- The Candidate must have experienced at least two overnight game/event situations.
- Travelling time is not to be included as part of the hours recorded towards the practical experience requirement.
About the 2020 Oral Practical Examination
2020 Oral Practical Examination for SPC Certificate Candidates and SPC Diploma Candidates
Date: PLEASE NOTE THE 2020 ORAL PRACTICAL IS CURRENTLY POSTPONED. PLEASE STAY TUNED FOR ADJUSTMENTS.
Location: To Be Confirmed.
Registration Window: To Be Confirmed.
Registration: To Be Confirmed.
Fees: To Be Confirmed.
Exam Time assignment: Candidates will receive their assigned timeslot. We try our best to accommodate travel distances and time preferences but we make no guarantees. Please block the entire weekend on your calendar until you have received your assigned time. Note: We run 3-4 rooms of exams consecutively and must take account examiner conflicts and language preferences. The schedule is very complex and will not allow switching times. Please block the weekend until your time is received.
Policies Related to Oral Practical Exam:
Refunds: Up until 2 weeks after the registration deadline, a full refund minus a $60 application fee. After this period a 50% refund will be issued. SPC may at our discretion issue a full refund minus $60 application fee for medical or extenuating circumstances. 2 months after the deadline no refunds will be issued. SPC may at our discretion issue a full refund minus $60 application fee for medical or extenuating circumstances.
Examination Policies: Can all be found in our credential program syllabus – please be sure you are utilizing the 2018 syllabus (see documents section of this screen for downloadable version).
Questions: Please direct all your questions to Samantha Lee, your Operations Manager:
Phone: (613) 564-5454 or toll free (800) 387-8679 extension 236
Documents: Please upload any missing documents in a PDF file to your profile.
Oral Practical Exam Marking Guides: note these are subject to MINOR wording or clarification changes by the Chief Examiner in 2020. The marking guide is provided as a courtesy and SPC reserves the right to edit it up to the examination date to provide marking clarity for the examiners. (Link for this soon)
Additional Resources An online webinar with the Chief Examiner will be scheduled for candidate and mentors. Please note the purpose of this webinar is to give a brief overview of what to expect from the examination experience. You are also able to ask questions to the Chief Examiner – it is as useful as you make it! Dates: To Be Confirmed. (No cost to sign up).
|When:||May 1st, 2020|