SPC-SK Webinar Series
Featuring Dr. Scotty Butcher, PhD
Title: Strength training modifications for anatomical/pathological limitations
Summary: In master’s trainees and those with specific movement limitations, consideration must be given for individual technique variations in strength training. This webinar will address common movement patterns, deviations due to limitations, and application to a whole body training program.
Date/Time: November 22nd, 2018 at 12 noon central standard time (Sask time zone)
Click the link below to register for the webinar:
Bio: Dr. Scotty Butcher is an Associate Professor in the School of Physical Therapy at the University of Saskatchewan and co-founder of Strength Rebels. He holds a BSc PT and MSc Kin from the University of Saskatchewan and a PhD in Exercise Physiology and Experimental Medicine from the University of Alberta. He is certified as a Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist (ACSM-RCEP), is a CrossFit Level 1 trainer (CF-L1), and is formerly certified as a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCA-CSCS); the latter of which he has formally relinquished. Scotty teaches exercise physiology, prescription, and rehabilitation to physical therapy students and has published several peer reviewed articles and two book chapters related to exercise testing and prescription. Currently training as a powerlifter and part time CrossFitter, he has a passion for strength training and translates this to promoting quality exercise training and rehabilitation practices for clinicians and students. His focus in research, teaching, and clinical work is on the hybrid rehabilitation/strength training approach, and shares his views through blogging and vlogging. Connect with Scotty on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.
SPC Diploma Mentors. We need you!!!
The Saskatchewan Section is looking for Diploma and Certificate holding members to offer their services as mentors to newer Physiotherapists looking to progress through the SPC Certificate/Diploma Program. If you are interested in being a mentor, please contact us and we will have you added as a Provincial Mentor on the Sport Physiotherapy Canada List.
Lindsay and Chris Facca Memorial Credentialing Program Award
This Award was established in the memory and celebration of the lives of Lindsay and Chris Facca. This annual award recognizes Saskatchewan physiotherapists who embody the qualities and ideals of the Facca’s and who have shown accomplishment and successful completion in either the certificate or diploma portion of the Sport Physiotherapy Canada credentialing program.
To be considered for the $1000.00 Lindsay and Chris Facca Memorial Credentialing Program Award, Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a registered physiotherapist in the province of Saskatchewan and a Sport Physiotherapy Canada member
- Must show proof of successful completion of the certificate or diploma portion of the SportPhysiotherapy Canada credentialing program in the same calendar year in which the Lindsay and Chris Facca Memorial Credentialing Program Award is to be granted
- Has not receive the Lindsay and Chris Facca Memorial Credentialing Program Award in the past
Please contact email@example.com for a Application Form. All materials must be postmarked no later than June 1st , 2019. Complete and forward the form and the required documentation to the SPC- SK. Division Membership Director at Saskatchewan@sportphysio.ca
Student Merit Award
Congratulations to this year’s winner Joelle Nerbas!!!
SPC Concussion Symposium
We invite you to our annual SPC Concussion Symposium!
Join us on Saturday, January 19, 2019 in beautiful Calgary Alberta at the MacEwan Conference & Event Centre for our Annual Symposium!
Registration is open!
NEW THIS YEAR: GROUP SKI DAY!
SPC is organizing a group ski day for Sunday, January 20, 2019. A group rate will be provided and an SPC hot chocolate social will round out the weekend! Information and group rate coming soon!
Third World Congress of Sports Physical Therapy
SPC is thrilled that IFSPT chose us to host the 2019 Third World Congress for Sports Physical Therapy. Join us at the Vancouver Convention Centre on October 4-5, 2019 to gain new tools for your toolbox with our conference theme – High Performance to Clinical Practice!
Registration opens Oct 4, 2018!
Venue announced: The 2019 Third World Congress will be held October 4-5, 2019 at the Vancouver Convention Centre!
Connect with us! Your source to stay up to date with the conference!
Lindsay Facca Memorial Fund for Student Trainers
Two years ago, Sport Physiotherapy Saskatchewan lost a member of its Executive, Lindsay Facca. She passed away suddenly on June 7, 2016 at the age of 29. Lindsay was working in Saskatoon at Craven Sport Services, and had recently received her Certificate in Sport Physiotherapy from Sport Physiotherapy Canada. Lindsay had been an active member of the sports community for many years. She was a Student Trainer with the University of Saskatchewan Huskie Athletics program where she worked with the Soccer and Football teams. She was also a Huskie Track and Field Athlete from 2005-2009. To honour Lindsay’s memory, Huskie Athletics has created the “Lindsay Facca Memorial Fund for Student Trainers”. This fund will provide scholarship assistance to members of the Huskie Student Trainer Program in support of their academic accomplishments so they can achieve their dreams. We want to ensure that Lindsay’s legacy endures.
We are reaching out to the Sport Physiotherapy family in support of this Fund. Contact us, if you wish to donate. Please help us honour Lindsay and her family.
If you have any questions, you may also contact Rhonda Shishkin at Huskie Athletics.
Upcoming Course Offerings
Ignite Physio Strength and Conditioning Rehab Mentorship Group
- What is this?
- a continuing education opportunity (monthly webinars and/or online lectures) for advanced learning and ed credits
- ongoing mentorship in application of clinical S&C to daily practice (clinical scenarios and feedback on programming, coaching, cueing, and technique)
- a discussion forum to get your clinical questions answered by myself and a team of experts on clinical S&C • ability to get feedback through video submissions
- ongoing development of content based in YOUR needs
- Registration info:
- Open to physiotherapists and Strength and Conditioning Coaches
- Presented by: Dr. Scotty Butcher and Colleagues
- When: ongoing
- Where: online
- Cost: $49/month
Upcoming Event Coverage Opportunities
Sorry nothing new at this time. Check back later!
- Stephanie Peppler – Executive Chair
- Matthew Okrainec – Secretary/Treasurer
- Kristie Mueller – Education Coordinator
- Leah White – Communications and Marketing Coordinator
- Vacant – Membership Coordinator
- Vacant – Events Coordinator
- Jill Apshkrum – Sports Medicine and Science Council of Saskatchewan (SMSCS) Liaison
- Daysha Shuya – Sports Medicine and Science Council of Saskatchewan (SMSCS) Liaison
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org