SwimAbility Canada – Director of Monitoring and Evaluations
Location : Canada
Category : Board Director
Job Type : Part-time Volunteer
SwimAbility Canada is a non-profit organization that provides affordable, one-on-one swimming instruction to children with special needs. We have 13 chapters across Canada, providing over 1000 swimming lessons each year. The Board of Directors is the legal authority for SwimAbility Canada. As a Member of the Board, a Director acts in a position of trust for the community and is responsible for the effective governance of the organization.
We are currently recruiting for a Director of Monitoring and Evaluations to join our national Board of Directors.
Requirements of Board membership include:
1. Commitment to the work of the organization.
2. Knowledge and skills in one or more areas of Board governance: policy, finance, programs, personnel, and advocacy.
3. Willingness to serve on committees.
4. Attendance (whether physical or virtual) at monthly or bi-monthly Board meetings
5. Attendance (whether physical or virtual) at meetings of assigned committees.
6. Attendance (whether physical or virtual) at Annual General Meetings
7. Support of special events.
8. Support of, and participation in, fundraising events.
General Duties of a Director:
A Director is fully informed on organizational matters, and participates in the Board’s deliberations and decisions in matters of policy, finance, programs, personnel and advocacy. Among other things, a Director must:
● Approve, where appropriate, policy recommendations, and its Standing Committees.
● Monitor all Board policies.
● Review the bylaws, policies, and board structure, and prepare any relevant amendments
● Participate in the development of SwimAbility Canada’s organizational plan and annual review.
● Approve SwimAbility’s budget.
● Serve as the Chair of one committee.
● Assist in developing and maintaining positive relations among the Board, committees, staff members, and community to enhance SwimAbility Canada’s mission.
Specific responsibilities of the Monitoring and Evaluations Director include, but are not
● Develop strategies to effectively monitor the impact of SwimAbility chapters across Canada, and use the evaluations to provide programming recommendations
● To publish information on the SwimAbility Canada website about the positive impact of swimming lessons on children with disabilities
● To liaise with graduate students and professors to develop research initiatives in order to collect and create rigorous data about SwimAbility Canada
● To regularly update all published information about SwimAbility with the most recent statistics and evidence about the benefits of swimming instruction and water safety for children with disabilities
● To collect testimonials from parents and instructors about their experiences with SwimAbility
● To initiate quality improvements projects across all chapters to ensure that chapters are regularly striving to improve their efficiency, reliability and programming.
The ideal candidate may be a member from within our SwimAbility Community, such as an alumni, or the candidate may be external to organization with an interest in swimming, disabilities and non-profits. Additional Requirements:
● Interest or experience in Monitoring and Evaluation
● Strong commitment to supporting our chapters that provide water safety and swimming instruction to children with disabilities
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
● Interest or experience in research, program evaluation and survey design
● Ability to work independently as well as within a team
● Excellent attention to detail
● Willingness to take initiative
Directors are elected by majority vote of Chapters at the Annual General Meeting or Member’s Meetings. Directors serve for a two-year term. Directors may be released at the end of their elected term, by resigning, or according to SwimAbility Canada bylaws. Directors may not serve more than two consecutive terms.
To apply, please submit a Resume and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘SwimAbility Application’