SwimAbility Canada – Director of Grants and Fundraising
Location : Canada
Category : Board Director
Job Type : Part-time Volunteer
SwimAbility Canada is a non-profit organization that provides affordable, one-on-one swimming instruction to children with special needs. We have 13 chapters across Canada, providing over 1000 swimming lessons each year. The Board of Directors is the legal authority for SwimAbility Canada. As a Member of the Board, a Director acts in a position of trust for the community and is responsible for the effective governance of the organization.
We are currently recruiting for a Director of Grants and Fundraising to join our national Board of Directors.
Requirements of Board membership include:
1. Commitment to the work of the organization.
2. Knowledge and skills in one or more areas of Board governance: policy, finance, programs, personnel, and advocacy.
3. Willingness to serve on committees.
4. Attendance (whether physical or virtual) at monthly or bi-monthly Board meetings
5. Attendance (whether physical or virtual) at meetings of assigned committees.
6. Attendance (whether physical or virtual) at Annual General Meetings
7. Support of special events.
8. Support of, and participation in, fundraising events.
General Duties of a Director:
A Director is fully informed on organizational matters, and participates in the Board’s deliberations and decisions in matters of policy, finance, programs, personnel and advocacy. Among other things, a Director must:
● Approve, where appropriate, policy recommendations, and its Standing Committees.
● Monitor all Board policies.
● Review the bylaws, policies, and board structure, and prepare any relevant amendments
● Participate in the development of SwimAbility Canada’s organizational plan and annual review.
● Approve SwimAbility’s budget.
● Serve as the Chair of one committee.
● Assist in developing and maintaining positive relations among the Board, committees, staff members, and community to enhance SwimAbility Canada’s mission.
Specific responsibilities of the Grants and Fundraising Director include, but are not limited to:
● To search for and apply to appropriate grants that will allow for the expansion of SwimAbility Canada;
● To develop a tiered donation strategy, which will include guidelines on sponsors and incentives for each donation tier;
● To develop a corporate sponsorship proposal and to make contact with potential sponsors and funders;
● To coordinate chapter-wide fundraising events throughout the year; and
● To foster a SwimAbility instructor alumni network for the purposes of advocacy and fundraising.
The ideal candidate may be a member from within our SwimAbility Community, such as an alumni, or the candidate may be external to organization with an interest in swimming, disabilities and non-profits. Additional Requirements:
● Interest or experience in grant writing and fundraising
● Strong written and verbal communication skills;
● Strong commitment to supporting our chapters;
● Ability to work independently as well as within a team;
● Excellent attention to detail; and
● Willingness to take initiative.
Directors are elected by majority vote of Chapters at the Annual General Meeting or Member’s Meetings. Directors serve for a two-year term. Directors may be released at the end of their elected term, by resigning, or according to SwimAbility Canada bylaws. Directors may not serve more than two consecutive terms.
To apply, please submit a Resume and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘SwimAbility Application’